Sunday, December 7, 2008

Mmmmm! Chocolate

Thought I would post another recipe since I just made this yummy treat and the kids are upstairs giggling as they watch "Home Alone". This is an easy and delicious treat I make at Christmas since getting the recipe from my good friend Deanna.

Dad's Oatmeal Bars

18 Dad's Oatmeal cookies

1/4 cup butter/marg

3 square semi sweet chocolate

1/2 cup butter/marg

1/2 cup icing sugar

1 egg

1/2 tsp vanilla

1/2 cup crushed nuts (I use pecans but peanuts also work well)


Melt 1/4 cup butter and add crushed cookies. I find the best way to crush them is to put them in a ziplock bag and bang them with a hammer or a "cooking" hammer...what is that thing called? Press 2/3 of the butter/cookie mixture into a 9x9 pan and bake at 325F for 10 minutes.

Melt the chocolate and allow it to cool. Add icing sugar, butter, egg, vanilla and nuts and beat well. (I use my electric beaters.) Spread chocolate mixture over baked cookies and then sprinkle the remaining crumbs on top.

Refrigerate and then cut into squares.

Picture shows the recipe doubled and cooling on my front porch - one of the advantages of living where it gets cold. I do this will all my Christmas baking!

Enjoy!

No comments: